Baileys of Glenrowan
Specialising in fine red and fortified wines, Baileys of Glenrowan is a historic winery located in Ned Kelly country and dating back to the 1860’s. Richard Bailey and his family arrived in Australia during the Goldrush and set up the first general store in Glenrowan. However as the gold dried up and the miners moved elsewhere, the Baileys turned to farming their Bundarra property. In 1866 Richard and his son, Varley, planted the first vines at Bundarra and by 1870, saw the first vintage harvested. Over the generations, the winemaking success at Baileys of Glenrowan continued, with many of the finest wines coming from the original 1904 Shiraz Block as well as parcels of Muscat and Tokay planted in the 1920’s. More recent times have seen Baileys bought by Fosters with quality of the wines, particularly fortified wines, remaining high. Baileys of Glenrowan Location The property name Bundarra, is Aboriginal for ‘meeting of the hills’ and Baileys of Glenrowan is just that, located at the foot of the Warby ranges, in North-East Victoria. Baileys of Glenrowan Wine Types Baileys Glenrowan produces Frontignac, Cabernet Sauvignon and Shiraz as well as dessert and fortified wines from the Tokay and Muscat varieties. Baileys of Glenrowan Winemaking Paul Dahlenburg of Baileys of Glenrowan prefers a hands-on approach in his winemaking utilizing traditional techniques such as the 100 year-old Basket press. All grapes are grown in the vineyard and wines are produced on-site.